“Speakers who talk about what life has taught them never fail to keep the attention of their listeners.” — Dale Carnegie
Presentations (2004-2011 )
Invited Talks and Keynotes
- Biofeedback Gaming: The Future of Game Interaction? Talk at Montreal International Game Summit (MIGS 2012).
- Physiological Game Interaction and Game User Research. Queen’s University School of Computing Seminar. March 29, 2012.
- On the Usability of Psychophysiological User Research for the Games Industry. 3rd Annual Games User Research Summit. March 6, 2012.
- Design Principles for Physiological Gaming. AAPB Symposium. Health Games: Psychophysiology and Biofeedback Applications. AAPB 42nd Annual Scientific Meeting: Psychophysiology and Biofeedback Paths to Resilience. New Orleans, Louisiana, USA. Saturday, March 12, 2011.
- Physiological Interaction, Affective Gaming, Fun and User Experience. Invited Talk for Ubisoft Massive. Malmö, Sweden. October 13, 2010.
- Affective Computing, Fun and User Experience in Digital Gaming. Invited Talk in Informatik-Kolloquium RWTH Aachen University organized by The Media Computing Group. September 30, 2010. [PDF]
- Affective Ludology and more: From Games to User Research. Presentation for SAP Connect. SAP Labs Canada, Montreal. July 21, 2010.
- Affective Ludology: Researching Fun, Affect, and User Experience in Games. Serious games seminar presentation for ERPsim Lab at HEC Montreal. June 8, 2010.
- Affective Ludology: Researching Fun, Affect, and User Experience in Games. Research (CIM-REPARTI) Seminar Presentation at the McGill Centre for Intelligent Machines. June 7, 2010. [link]
- Affective Ludology: Scientific Measurement of User Experience in Interactive Entertainment. Keynote at GameDays Conference 2010: Serious Games for Sports and Health. Darmstadt, Germany. March 25, 2010. [link]
- Affective Ludology: Reflecting on Fun, Physiological Measurement, and User Experience in Interactive Entertainment. University of Saskatchewan, Department of Computer Science. January 29, 2010. [link]
- “Affective Ludology: Game Usability Research and KOM.” Invited presentation at TU Darmstadt, Multimedia Communications Lab, Germany. January, 22.
- “Affective Ludology: Reflecting on Fun, Measurement, and User Experience in Interactive Entertainment.” Invited presentation at University Duisburg-Essen (Interdisciplinary Games Research: DUE you play?), Germany. December 7, 2009. [link, abstract (PDF)]
- “Affective Ludology: Thoughts on Measuring User Experience in Interactive Entertainment.” Invited presentation at the Center for Computer Game Research of the IT University Copenhagen, Denmark. November 19, 2009. [link]
- “Next Generation Testing: Biometric Analysis of Player Experience”, presentation at the GDC Canada 2009, Vancouver, CA, in the track “Finalling”. May 12, 2009. [link, slides]
- “Game Experience: Components and Methods of Measurement”, invited presentation at the second FUGA Mini Symposium at Helsinki Institute for Information Technology, Finland. April 3, 2009. [link [DOC]]
- “Measuring players’ experience of games and real-time simulations”, invited presentation at the iTEC08, Darmstadt, Germany, in the session “Serious Games” on track “Hot Topic: Games”. November 6, 2008. [link, slides (PDF)]
- “Future Game Design: Biofeedback and Player Experience”, refereed seminar presentation at Futureplay 2008, Toronto, Canada. November 3, 2008.
- “How eye tracking and psychophysiological data logging improves game design” (new scientific metrics for game design) Invited presentation at Fraunhofer IGD. Darmstadt, Germany. July 15, 2008. [link]
- Experimental game studies – What are those and why would you want to do them? Invited lecture as part of the course “Forschungsgegenstand Computerspiele” at the Institut für Publizistik, Mainz University. Mainz, Germany. July 9, 2008. [link]
- So, why would you want to be a game researcher? Invited presentation at game developer Reakktor Media GmbH. Hannover, Germany. July 7, 2008. [link]
- Game Experience Research – How to gather valuable information from players. Invited talk at the Institute for Media and Communication Research, TU Ilmenau, Ilmenau, Germany. July 2, 2008.
- Evaluating Game Usability – How game research will change the face of software applications. Invited talk at the user interface colloquium. Computational visualistics/Software engineering group, University of Magdeburg. Magdeburg, Germany. June 30, 2008. [slides]
- Full day invited game research seminar: “Game Experience Logging – Tools and Techniques” in the course Game Design II 07 at the Games Academy GmbH. Berlin, Germany. June 12, 2008. [link]
- Focus on your players – Psychophysiological player experience logging as a powerful tool for gameplay analysis. Presentation at the Quo Vadis German Game Developer Conference. Berlin, Germany. May 7, 2008. [slides]
- Game Design and Player Emotions. Invited talk at FUGA mini-symposium at the Helsinki Institute for Information Technology (HIIT). Helsinki (Espoo), Finland. April 24, 2008. [link]
- Focus on your players – An approach to Game Design and Development – Invited talk at the School of Future Entertainment. Karlshamn, Sweden. March 3, 2008. [link, slides]
- “The Fun of Gaming: Measuring the Human Experience of Media Enjoyment”. Presentation at Quo Vadis Entwicklerkonferenz. Berlin, Germany. 2007.
- Principles of iterative development within games. Lecture within the course Advanced Game Design. Högskolan på Gotland. Visby, Sweden. 2007.
- Lean, effective and scientific presentations. Lecture within the course Advanced Game Design. Högskolan på Gotland. Visby, Sweden. 2007.
Press, Media, and News
- Game Development Essentials, Third Edition (Novak, J., 2011). Several small interview answers.
- ACM XRDS (September 2011): The sensorium. Interview.
- New Scientist (Volume: 210, Issue: 2808, Pages: 24-25, 16 April 2011): Emotional video gaming makes the action real. Available online.
- WDR (2010): Wenn Computer nicht mehr nerven [When computers stop being annoying]. Published Monday, September 14, 2010. [Available online in German]
- Sydöstran (2010): Idag blir han doktor på dataspel [Today he will be a doctor of computer games]. Published Monday, January 18, 2010. [Available online in Swedish]
- Karlshamns Allehanda [Blekinge Läns Tidning] (2010): Doktor i Datorspel [Doctor in Digital Games]. Front Page Article [Scan (Swedish)]. Published Tuesday, January 19, 2010. [Scanned Article (Swedish)]
- Sveriges Radio P4 Blekinge (2009): Äldre gillar faktiskt dataspel [The elderly actually love video games]. Radio Interview with Rebecka Gyllin. Published Wednesday, September 30, 2009. [Available online in Swedish]
- Videnskab.dk (2009): Dine øjne skal dræbe [Your eyes shall kill]. Published online on May, 28, 2009. [Available online in Danish and Norwegian]
- Golem.de (2008): EEG, Eyetracking und Blutdruck: Spiele-Testing für Profis [EEG, Eye Tracking and Blood Pressure: Game Testing for Professionals]. Online Article in German IT Magazine Golem. [Available online in German]
- Sydöstran (2007): Forskare jagar det roliga i dataspel [Scientists hunt down the fun in video games]. Published September 11, 2007. [Available online in Swedish]
- Nacke, L., Hartmann, K., Röber, N., Yatim, M.H.M. and Masuch, M. (2006) Universität Magdeburg: Akademische Spieleforschung [University of Magdeburg: Academic Game Research] Published in /GameStar/dev magazine, section Campus/Studium. Issue: 01/2006. [PDF (German)]